Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Spy game - testing, testing...

I haven't posted in a few months. Work has kept me busy, out of trouble, under a roof. It's been good. It's also been a time of great ideas. I had kicked an idea around with Kyle Bostelmann for a few weeks while he was here in Melbourne, but it wasn't until a few days ago I really got into making something of it. Below is a quick concept I did when Kyle was here.

Oooh look, spies!
I've been coding in App Game Kit (AGK), a little product from The Game Creators, the dudes behind DarkBasic. I've always liked their products, and used them since the late 90's (so cool that I can say that now). For fast prototyping, they make some fantastic tools. AGK came onto the scene late last year, and is growing quite a nice little following. You should check it out. It does have it's limitations, basic geometry being a big one. I'd love to draw simple polygons, but that's not implemented yet, which is odd, as you can edit the hit-box for a sprite as a polygon. This is demonstrated in my little project.

I wanted to create a field of vision for a top-down game. AGK has some nice little raycasting functions, and using a combination of them, a little maths, and the polygonal sprite hit-boxes, I came up with a nice, robust, system. It demonstrates a FOV, with all the variables able to be tweaked. AND ROTATING SPRITES!!

GET IT HERE  ( spyTest.zip - Windows - 715kb)

It looks thusly:

Ahhh yeah.


Download it, mess around, and tell me just how simple it really is. I'm pretty happy that I could knock it over in a night!

Zac

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Its application in a spy game would be great! No more, "HOW DID THEY SEE ME!?!".

    ReplyDelete